This post is something I've been debating on writing for a while. I don't like dissing people, but I think we as horse owners need to be able to make informed decisions about the welfare of our equines. Last month my regular farrier didn't show up when I expected him to, and a friend from another province was visiting and since she is a barefoot trimmer, I asked her to do my horses. What should have been a simple trim for each horse became a rehabilitation project; I won't go into details but none of my horses had the kind of feet they should have had after a year in the care of a professional barefoot hoof care provider. I am very grateful for my friend for the education she gave me, but since she lives very far away, the end result is that I have decided to learn to trim my own horses.There is a book or two that I will be getting to help me, and I get a lot of support and advice both from my friend and from Mrs. Mom- who I consider a friend, even though we haven't met!- and I'm finding that it isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Of course, I can't do a lot in one session, but I plug away at it. The money I'm saving on farrier fees will go into educating myself. The following photos show Beamer's feet in May before my friend trimmed him, and just the other day, after I gave him another maintenance trim.
They are a work in progress, and I still have so much to learn. The point of this post is to encourage people to get involved in the care of their horses feet, don't just blindly trust that your farrier is doing the best thing for your horse just because he's a professional. I'm sure many of you are more educated on this than I am, but you are never too old to learn.


13 comments:
Here is a link to a post that I did a while back addressing the same issues that you are facing.
The instructor was Angie Senter through Universal Class, Inc.
I am over $6000 in savings so far, and no crippled horses. Any questions feel free to email me.
http://wildwestfarm.blogspot.ca/2010/01/be-your-own-farrier.html
I think it is very good to be informed. I am lucky I now have a good farrier who actully spent a long time at a farrier school in Oklahoma and he is very willing to share what he is doing. I have no desire to trim 9 horses so he will still get to do mine. I have noticed a huge difference in the way he trims feet (the look so much better and the horses are happier) than my last farrier who seems to rush through and when I ask questions he got defensive.
Good on You!
I've been doing Wa's hooves for a few years...I do alright, I have much to learn. I hire the trimmer about every 3rd trim sometimes longer.
My hero is Shannon( hers is Mrs mom) " its Quarters for me" blog.
I've a confession in my next post with big mixed feelings.....cliff hanger comment
Shirley I'd be interested in which books you're using.
I'm not sure that I want to tackle trimming all my guys but I'd like to be more informed... I just don't know if I always trust what farriers tell me.
Thanks for this post and I am glad that you learned this and I will have to give this lots of consideration! I agree, let us know what books that you use.
Good for you! And your horses. Maybe not your back... ;-)
I could have written your post!
I had faith in my previous farrier. He was a nice guy. He talked the talk. He never hurt the guys and the trims he did were OK... but they weren't helping to change anything. Within two sessions with another farrier I could see changes in Pippin's feet. His hooves were showing more concavity (he foundered before I got him) and he was losing the dish shape. I was so amazed.
Your never too old to learn something new and I bet the kids will feel better with you doing it than a stranger..:-)
It's so empowering to do your own trims! I also have a profi come out regularly to inspect my work. You have a lot of horses though and I don't think I could do that many. I am shopping for a horse now and the one I like at the moment has awful feet and I'm just dying to turn them around! I mentioned you to his owner because she wants to know where she can find good Quarter Horses. We joked about going into business and importing Arabians and Quarter Horses, which sell for way more in Germany than back home. Of course I don't know your prices so that might not apply to yours. Quarter Horses are the "new cool thing" in Germany.
the difference is obvious just in the photos! wow well done for taking on the extra challenge and education
I am so happy to read this! GOOD FOR YOU! I think every owner, if they are physically able, ought to be able maintain their horses feet. It's really not that hard.
First pic, I thought, that's pretty long and dishy. Next pic, MUCH BETTER.
Want to see more!! Take us along on your journey!
I admire your resolve to learn to bare foot trim your horses! I sure hope you'll keep us posted on your progress as you develop your skill! (0:
I will refrain from an opinion on this subject but good for you ...
Post a Comment