Thursday, June 7, 2012

From blues to blue sky

I must admit the last few days have been really depressing, I won't bore you with details but the wet and stormy weather didn't help. It's hard to see the pens so muddy and know that you can't put the horses anywhere else. Yesterday was so cold, wet and windy that the only horses that got turned out were the two colts, and even then not for the whole day. Their pen is so muddy that I couldn't leave them in it. In the afternoon, I turned Kai in with the mares and put a really deep layer of straw down in Rio's shelter to absorb some of the moisture, and I set up a panel in the windward direction and tied plywood and a tarp to it to give him a windbreak- the wind is from the south and his shelter only has a north and east wall. It took the boys a while to stop shivering, poor guys. Beamer got his raincoat on, and he was happy, even tried to help me get it in place.
Another thing that's going on is that Chickory is still pretty sore, I think it's going to be a long battle to get her sound again. Sigh. Fortunately I have some good advice and support from some knowledgeable people, and I'm determined to get her right again.
Soooooo, today- well when I got up and looked out the window at 5:30 this morning, I couldn't wait to grab my camera and get outside. There was a lovely fog, and above that the bluest sky! Yippee! That's the kind of blue that makes the blues go away!

Beamer gets his coat off....
Check out his muddy legs! I hosed the mud off and turned him out.....
Happy horse!
Chickory and Gussie are pouting that they don't get turned out. 
Not happy horses!
Hopefully the sun will stick around long enough today to start drying out their pen. At least its dry in their shelter- they spent most of the day in there yesterday.
I think it was Dreaming who left a comment on my WW about turning the photo upside down, so just for fun, I turned the camera upside down and took some reflection photos.
No, she isn't starving, just pissy. They have hay in their feeder! They tried to get through the gates when I was putting the other horses out, and succeeded when I put the colts out- Chickory put her shoulder into the gate before I could close it all the way, and she and Gussie got out and buried their noses in the ling grass- fortunately that made them easy to catch and put back in their pen. Hopefully Chickory didn't get enough grass to make things worse.Brat! 
Of course, after being cooped up yesterday, Nitro had the zoomies this morning.

The rain has helped my garden, most stuff is up, and the flowers are still thriving.

On a somewhat more somber note, our friend Carol over at All These Pretty Horses lost her dad a couple of days ago. Even though it was expected, it's still hard to lose a parent. It got me to thinking, how many of us have lost our moms first, and then our dads. Father's day is coming up, and although my dad is still with us, this may be the last one, and he is so far along with Lewy Body dementia that he can't communicate well and most likely doesn't recognize his children any more. Treasure your parents, especially as they age and spend time with them.

13 comments:

Margaret said...

...the "zoomie". You have such a beautiful setting for horses. Sigh.... :)

Knotty Dogs said...

I love that reflection photo! Gorgeous!

thecrazysheeplady said...

You do a nice job finding beauty everywhere even when it might be hard to find some days :-).

The Southern Peach-Girls said...

Beamer looks very happy in the picture with him eating :). Hope you clear the blue away soon!

Blessings,
Taylor Drew

Janice said...

Great shots...that Nitro should be a Barrel horse that turn is something else...you know the term turn and burn ...he's got it in spades.Sorry to hear about Carol's dad.Love the reflection shot!!!!

Becky said...

Maybe I missed it in my reading, but I don't remember reading what exactly happened to Chickory. She pulled up lame, but did you ever find out why?

I'm really bummed on your behalf. Stupid Murphy's Law.

Yvette said...

doesn't that blanket look good on Beamer? :)

Kurious Kim said...

Sending positive and happy vibes your way....

Dreaming said...

Hope you get more sun - I also hate it when the paddock is muddy. We have clay and it is a mess when we get rain or snow.
You are right about cherishing our parents and spending time with them. I went to a meeting with my dad to take notes for him. He was thrilled. I'm so glad I can make him happy!

Shirley said...

Yvette- the blanket is a perfect fit! It gets plenty of use.
Becky- Chickory has laminitis, most likely brought on by too much clover in the pasture. She is the only horse affected by it, but I have Gussie in the diet pen too because she was getting pretty fat.

Michele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lisa said...

Oh my, I sure hope it starts to dry up for you soon. We have been getting rain to, and not enough dry weather. It seems to go from one extreme to the other that is for sure. Horses look pretty darn good even if they are a little pissy!

Ed said...

Great flower shot, what is it? and the reflection shot..I thought it was a regular shot..well done..:-))