Saturday, June 16, 2012

Rascals and roses

This morning Rio had stocked up a bit, but overall I think he'll be ok. I put him in the round pen for a few hours, there's a little grass for him in there, but interestingly enough, the first thing he went for was the plantain.
Poor Rio, he's full of lumps and bumps and nicks and scrapes and bites and cuts. Now you understand why I call the yearling year the wonder year, and why I prefer to sell the babies right off the mare....
Speaking of plantain, I picked a bunch of it, and Ted brought me home some fresh comfrey from a farm he was working at, and I stewed them together today to make a wound wash/poultice base. Poultice; yeah, for Chickory. I'm pretty sure she has at least one abscess in her front feet, so I've been padding and poulticing- trouble is, I can't get them to stay on overnight. I use a baby diaper, and put the herbal solution in that, then a big tough baggie, and then LOTS of duct tape. She goes to work on it, chewing and shredding. Today it lasted   5 hours. I'm looking for some medicine boots locally.
Poor girl,  3 days ago she could hardly walk, today she was much better but I don't see any sign of draining yet. I sure hope it breaks soon, I hate to see her hurting.
Today I set up the electric fence in Rio's pasture, and burned a bunch of branches from some pruning we did last week so I didn't get time to ride Gussie. Maybe tomorrow....
No matter how busy I am, I always take time to check my flower gardens, and today the Morden Sunrise roses that Janice gave me popped open. This one has some funny brown streaking on one of the petals:
But this one is perfection:
although the colors aren't as vivid as the other bush.My other Morden rose, the Blush, has been blooming for a while and it's just lovely too:
Ted and I celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary on Friday, and for the occasion I bought him a yellow rose bush- Thomas Hardy, an old fashioned and very fragrant rose, and for myself an Abraham Darby from the David Austin series. Which means I have to develop another flower garden just for them.No rest for the willing!

9 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Poor Chicory! I thought she had been sold, I'm sorry to hear she's abcessed. Rio is a doll, as usual... and the roses, my gosh... gorgeous!

Shirley said...

Mary Ann- Chickory came up sore the day she was to leave for Texas.

cdncowgirl said...

What about ordering from Frontier? Free shipping! Would this work?
http://www.westernshop.com/store/product/11772/Poultice-Boot-00/

Small world, at our house in the city I had both those Mordens & the Thomas Hardy that you have! No roses here though, yet.

Ed said...

Beautiful roses..:-)

Anonymous said...

Hope Rio and Chickory continue to improve. Lovely idea of a gift of roses - happy anniversary!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Beautiful roses, and Happy Anniversary to you both! Glad the horses are on the mend

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Anniversary! Your roses are beautiful..I love that Morden Sunset..great color! Of course Morden Blush is a great rose too! I want to visit Morden Manitoba someday..although they are done with the rose program I understand the town is full of roses:)

thecrazysheeplady said...

I have had great luck with both the blue plastic soak boots and the blue nylon with leather bottom poultice boots.

Shirley said...

we're getting the ones from SmartPak- Frontier didn't have her size.