Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Anticipation

Foal watch has begun!
The last two nights I have begun my camp out and nightly checks on the mares. Foaling is not quite imminent, but I like to get the mares accustomed to my presence at odd hours so that it becomes routine for them and doesn't disturb them when they go into labour.
Gussie is fully bagged up, but is still carrying her foal high, it hasn't dropped down into foaling position yet. Tomorrow will be exactly 11 months from the first day she was bred. For the record, I'm hoping for a blue roan colt.
Coyote Belle is carrying a little lower than Gussie, but she is still really wide; if this photo had been from behind she would look like a house! She is much softer in the tail area than Gussie, but isn't fully bagged yet. On Friday it will be exactly 11 months from the first day she was bred. Also for the record, I am hoping for a true black filly- it's about time for Beamer to throw his colour!
They are used to the routine at night of being separated into their own pens and getting grain- nothing like grain to assist in a routine.
Rio continues his schooling, and continues to impress us. He loves his trail ride/walks, and yesterday we worked in the round pen, I wanted him to lope (without rider) which went well, and then Shayla rode with me on the longe line. Not ready yet for loping with a rider, but we asked him to trot, which we haven't done a lot of. His extended trot is beautiful! His steering is really coming along nicely as is the stop and back up.
Once we have him loping nicely with a rider, it will be time for solo rides; I plan on hauling to an arena for that. Of course, that will mean getting him accustomed to new surroundings and going back to basics in the arena before progressing.
I always prefer to err on the side of caution, and if this all seems like a pretty slow process- it is.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm hoping for a blue roan too! lol

as far as slow training goes, I suppose you could rush it if you wanted too, but the end result is not near as nice. "If you take the time, to take the time, in the long run it takes less time"

Unknown said...

I think that going slow is great, as long as it is consistent!

Two Blondes and an Appy said...

Rio and I like the slow training.... We always feel safe and comfortable because we dont do things before we're ready, which makes for a happy horse and rider :)!

cdncowgirl said...

Slow & steady wins the race... well, not all races but in colt starting it's got to be a good thing ;)

I'm thinking it's time for Beamer & Belle to have another filly *fingers crossed*

IanH said...

My gosh, mine look the same, and they haven't been bred. Round bales with ears!

Janice said...

I can't wait to see what you get.Boy you guys keep going the way you are and Jazz will be going to Alberta alone!

Paint Girl said...

I am super excited to see the babies!!
That is fantastic that Rio is doing so well. He looks great! I always prefer to go the slow route when training. There is no need to rush, plus I want to make sure my horses turn out good!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

no foals around here this year (whew). yours will be the excitement enough for me!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Michele said...

gussie, think, april .. early... :D

thecrazysheeplady said...

I think you do a great job with your colts!