Anyway, we did a lot of groundwork with scary objects, like the cover from my riding lawn mower which I bunched up and made noises with while I walked around him, and using it to flip over and under him, drag beside and before him etc. He had a few more of the above type moments, especially when I flipped it under him so he could see it on both sides of his body- oh, big leap! But, he got over it, and then it was time to engage his brain in a different way.
The tool of the day was the L. I laid out boards in the shape of an L, and Shayla led him through,
then led him partway through and asked him to back out, and then all the way through and then back out.
Supervised by Beamer in the background
Backing to the corner...
Asking Rio to move his hip over....
Moving the front end over....
Rio worrying that his feet might hit a board.
We discovered that Rio really disliked it when his feet touched the boards, and that he was really careful about where he put his feet; he would hold the foot up and very gingerly set it down if he thought there was a board there. He should do really well in trail classes.
Shayla also worked on her timing with him for halter class, on when to stop so that it was almost automatic for Rio to be standing square when his feet stopped. All in all, great progress!
Since Rio had gotten over his earlier antics and his mind was engaged and softened, he was mentally fit for riding. Not a chance earlier though!
Some of the things that Rio is doing really well from the ground that translate into things he has to do under saddle are flexing to the side, whoa and back up, move the hip over, and move the shoulder over. We are still working on the sidepass from the ground. He has a really nice pivot for halter class too. Shayla- feel free to jump in on the comments if I have missed anything here! (To my blog readers, Shayla comments as Two Blondes and an Appy).
The thing we both notice about Rio is that as soon as he has a rider up, his eye gets really soft, and he looks and feels content.
Anyway, we went for a tour out on the hayfield and I got Shayla to take some ear cam photos.
He loves going for a stroll out here.
Checking out the water crossing that I went through with Beamer the day before.
No problem! (Good thing I had my gumboots on!)
Enjoying the scenery.
It was a really good training session. We went from super silly to super relaxed, and I couldn't be happier with the way Shayla and Rio work together. Good job, girl! And good boy, Rio!

10 comments:
Those two are making a good pair.Such a nice fellow....too bad his sister didn't get that sweetness he has.
I think you covered it all Shirley!! I'm just so happy with Rio flexing his head side to side softly from the ground and perfectly under saddle for the first time. That took some time to teach him, so I was proud of him when he finally got it! Im having a blast working with you Shirley and Rio and I'm learning a lot along the way!!
In my opinion the last picture says it all... what a relaxed, soft pose! Ahhhhh, sweetness!
The thing that I like is that we have seen this colt come along from a little thing... and now he is "all growed up" and behaving so well!
He is going to turn out to be a super horse! Lucky you.
Nice work! I love the "L" idea....reminds me of the Tellington Jones labyrinth.
Very nice colt! I'd be so proud of Shayla and Rio! Good work guys. I love your commentary along the way.
Way to go..everyone! Love the training I find it very interesting:)
What a great team you all are, well done Rio, and his lady trainers!
This Was Great...Love The Obstacles While With Him Stuff. Seeing Things On Both Sides..I Love Them, As A Team.
Gorgeous Between The Ears Shots!!!
Post a Comment