I got invited to go on a short trail ride yesterday.
My as-yet-unnamed mare used to be in a pen of geldings and she came to me with a lot of nicks and hair missing, so I assume she had a bit if a rough go with the geldings.
As we lined out for the ride, a gelding was a bit behind her and off to one side and she nailed him with a hoof to his chest/shoulder. The day before he is to get his paperwork done to go barrel racing in the US and the day after he got worked on by the same guy who worked on my mares. I sure hope he is okay. So now I know to make sure this mare doesn't get in striking range of other horses on a trail ride. She was good with the dog being right behind her, and I hope this was just a one time occurrence, but she won't get a second chance.
Other than that, it was a good ride, she seemed quite relaxed in the bush, followed well and didn't get anxious when the other horses got out of sight. She has a lovely long trot, such a big stride compared to what I am used to.
My next ride on her will be down the road here to the river and back. It's a 6 mile round trip; I need to get my dogs out following so Tess can teach Thea proper trail riding etiquette; follow behind and stay off the road. Yah right..... we will see how the puppy does!
5 comments:
I was getting ready to name my post first trail ride, but then I saw yours and amended it. It wasn't really our "first" anyway. We had a very short one last fall. Your new girl sure looks amazing!! I'm so happy for you.
We can share first trail rides :o)
Nice to see you out on the trails!
Sounds like she can be cranky and let her feelings known. Hope it doesn't happen again. Six miles Thea will be tired! :) :)
She sounds like what you been looking for. I wouldnt worry about the kicking once she knows you and if you will protect her (or keep her away, lol) she should be fine. She sounds like a nice horse and pretty too.
Post a Comment