First of all, got the pregnancy tests back on Coyote Belle- she is open so no little dun baby next year. That's ok she needs a year off.
Next news- yes indeed I did buy the yellow mare! Left at 5 AM. Did a marathon trip with Tess and Thea for company, got there when I said I would, checked the mare out, rode her and loaded her. Back home by 8 PM. Poor mare, she wouldn't eat or drink on the trip, but she made up for it last night, ate all her hay and drank well.
She is thin- and has goopy eyes. I am filling her belly with hay, will get her some other feed today, and I'm giving her Omega-Alpha Immune Plus and I'm making yarrow tea for her.
Found out more of her story. She was successfully shown; here is a video of one of her runs. It wasn't a perfect run but at 3 years old it looks good- looks like they didn't push her too hard to be perfect.
Also looks like she was well loved... at that time...
Then she was sold in her 4 yr old year; the person that bought her was the ex girlfriend of the guy I bought her from. He got the mare in trade for a couple of kids horses, last fall. Said she was thin then, and dang it all she is still thin. But I can fix that. This mare has been put on the back burner and neglected.
She doesn't have much of a tail, any tips for helping it grow that don't require braiding and a tail bag?
She has very cool dun factor as you can see in the above photo and in the photo below of her back legs.
She is shod and I will keep her that way until some time in September instead of trying to transition her to barefoot when I have so much riding planned for the next 2 months. She was barefoot for a long time and only had shoes put on earlier this month for the mountain trip. So it should be an easy transition.
I will only do some light riding until I'm sure she is over the stress of travelling over 900 kilometres to get here. This afternoon I'll take her and the dogs on the hayfield ride.
Oh- and suggestions for a barn name will be welcomed! None of the usual palomino names please! Prefer something with western connotations.

7 comments:
Except for the fake tail she looks really good, nice movement she will do nicely for your Western Dressage. It doesn't hurt that she's a pretty girl too. I can already picture a Beamer cross there.
How about Lacey? Curt just gave that name to one of our newest additions....only ours is a kitten!
Well, if down the road you decide to part with this one...I want to be first on the list. :-D. You know, Sassy is also a granddaughter (on the paternal side) to Solanos Peppy San and while I yak about her Colonel Freckles breeding all the time, I'm well aware of the quality of the SPS horses. :-).
You'll have her fit and shiny, with more tail, in no time! Seriously though, tail length is partially how you care for it, partially genetics, and partially feed. A good vitamin/mineral supplement should help. Careful combing and conditioning (which helps make carefully picking out any knots or snarls easier).
Name suggestions - these all come from Western books/movies:
Delilah, Etta, Molly, Hallie, Clare, Lorena, Marisol.
BEC- I didn't know that about Sassy. Makes me love her even more!
CDN- I think she is wearing tail extensions in the show video so it may be genetic. I'll be visiting with Llana next week when she comes through her on her holidays so I'll ask about that.
Also just found out that is her real tail in the show video- she used to have it to the ground- which is good because that means it will grow back.
She's stunning, and she'll fatten up with you, I'm sure.
Post a Comment