Yes, that's her name. Ever since I got her I've been thinking of the Bellamy Brother's song "The Ballad of Tumbleweeds and Rosalee" and I just couldn't get it out of my mind when I was trying to think of a name for the yellow mare. She is so pretty, I wanted a name that reflected that. I even looked through names of yellow roses, but nothing came up. So I had a little chat with her, told her that dolls were just toys and that I wanted to name her after the prettiest thing I could think of and that is roses. So her name would be Rosalee. I swear, when I said that, her eyes got all soft and she looked really pleased!
Anyway, I borrowed a Vic Bennett reining saddle from Shayla because my regular saddle was giving her dry spots. The weather here is hot and muggy, and if I wait for cool weather it could be a while, so I saddled up and headed out with Tess and Thea.
I don't think the colour of the saddle suits her, but it fit her really well and was a good fit for me too. I might look for something similar in a darker oil.
Since it was too hot to go the 6 mile river loop, I opted for the hayfield ride again. It is about a 2 mile round trip- and it was almost too much for Tess, who is out of shape because I haven't been taking her out on trails for about a year now. She made it though and I made sure she went in the dog tub as soon as we got back. Thea is fitter with way less hair so she was fine.
As we started out, Thea thought she should be working the mare, so she was flip flopping from side to side and taking little runs at the string tail I tied onto Rosalee's hock length tail. As the ride progressed, she got over that. It annoyed Rosalee but she was pretty good, only swinging her neck at the dog and pinning her ears when Thea did the fly-by.
Unlike most people, I have never actually hankered after owning a palomino or a red dun; I've always loved the bays and blacks. But like Mark Rashid says, a good horse is never a bad colour.
When we got back I checked her sweat marks for dry spots- there were none.
Ted is working on installing the puckboard inside my horse trailer, should be done in a couple of days if he doesn't get interrupted. Than my plan is to haul Coulee and Rosalee to the big arena in Canyon and work both mares. I'd like to get Coulee going now that all the body work is done on her; she shouldn't have any issues. Even if I just pony her, it might help her get along with Rosalee but I'd really like to get riding her.
7 comments:
Like the new name - it suits her. I also have never wanted a palomino, have always loved the bays, and here I am with two chestnuts and a paint! I'm with you, color's the last thing I care about.
I love bays best too, but did end up with a golden bucky with two white back socks, and I must say that mare just glowed and she looked good in winter or summer coat. I like the contrast of the black mane and tail of a bucky better than a pally, but it does delight the eye on a sunny day when either of them get that gold shine going.
I'm not a color person either, there are colors I prefer over others. But, coloring is just icing, I enjoy cake.
Funny how sometimes things work out that way, I'm not a palomino fan either and here I got 2 haha. I prefer back and have none but that's OK I like them all :)
I like the name, probly will end up calling her Rose at least I would, but I think it fits her too.
Maybe I'll have to ride my yellow horse side by side with you and we can match.
Good name! I always have like Palominos and Buckskins... and mostly black horses like Beamer! Have fun ! :)
never been a person who had a yearning for palominos either, but she sure is a nice mare, and seems like a good one too
I've always favored bay horses over anything else, but color doesn't even matter - it's heart. Almost bought a beautiful palomino gelding named Beach Buff years ago. Nice, athletic horse he was. Your mare is a pretty girl and I think her new name suits her perfectly. And no matter what we think, she likes it! Love that she told you so.
Post a Comment