Friday, July 22, 2016

Riding whats'r name

I got the hayfield ride in today. To start with, the mare didn't pay much attention to me as she is really trying to befriend the other two horses; Coulee is jealous of her and Beamer thinks she should come live with him and the poor girl has to be separate from them so she was listening to them instead of me. 5 minutes in the round pen fixed that; I have some work to do to get her to sidle up to the fence for me to get on; she isn't bad but does move her hip out. If I mount from the ground she stands good, but it's easier for me to get on from a more level spot.
 Anyway, we headed out- no traffic and today's showers knocked the dust back so it was a nice little ride. I opted to leave the dogs home until I get to know her a bit better.
Riding a new horse out alone from her new home is a pretty good test too, and she passed with flying colours. She is curious but calm on the trails.
She's a long strided mare, so different from the horses I usually ride. Doesn't seem to walk out with energy but that may change when I start riding with others- next week.
I have her on Step 8 to help her regain some weight as well as Hoffman's minerals and all the grass hay she can eat. And I hand graze her after we ride. Once we move she will have her own grazing paddock - I foresee fencing in my future this fall!
Smell the roses, don't eat them!
Meanwhile I am still racking my brain for a name for her. Start firing suggestions this way please! 
Something feminine, a little bit Western would be nice, or something classic. Not a name that plays on her colour (like Goldie, Brandy, Sunshine etc.)

16 comments:

lytha said...

Western/Southern names.....Annie, Myra, Etta, Cheyenne, Ava, Cassidy, Dallas, Ginny, Rita, Zella, Luanne, Abby, Twila, Addie, Tillie, Clara, Sadie, Rhetta, Cora, Dinah.

Shirley said...

Lytha- have thought of several of those and ruled them out, mostly because of association with other people or animals. Others I like but they don't suit her- like Cheyenne and Dallas. Keep the names coming!

Camryn said...

Mirage

Far Side of Fifty said...

Rapunzel or Pocahontas...Wildflower...sounds like you are getting along well:)

WendyFromNY said...

Old western cowgirls: Annie Oakley, Bellle Star, Calamity Jane...

WendyFromNY said...

Lucille...

WendyFromNY said...

Betsy, Ruby, Sage, Sierra, Ellie Mae, Dixie, Candy...Daisy, she's yellow and white like a daisy! Delta Dawn, Amber. Okay, now I've given me a headache! I hope you figure out a name soon!

WendyFromNY said...

Jezebel...

WendyFromNY said...

Lucky Penny

WendyFromNY said...

Lazy Susan. LOL! Sorry.

Shirley said...

I'm looking for a one word name, that reflects her good nature and beauty. Her registered name is Solanos N Jac.

lytha said...

If she likes the rain, name her Seattle. Prettiest city name ever. And no animal/pet/blogger has it yet, right?: ) If you want the Native American original version, it's Sealth, ("selth") but that's not so pretty. Seattle's too big a name for my cat, so I named her after a main street/island in Seattle, Mercer. Which is naming a cat after a place that is named for an explorer person....*lol* Ok sorry I'm out of ideas for your fabulous new mare. I like to name horses after their ancestors, even the call names, so what about Jacque? You could pronounce it french to be fancy.

I know, you like one or two syllable names. You're like me.

WendyFromNY said...

Solanos presumably has something to do with the sun? Sunny? As in disposition. Or some form of Jackie; Jacquie, Jacqui...

cdncowgirl said...

More names... Dream, Angel, Concha (I don't know why but I really like that one)

Lynell said...

Laney

Linda said...

I'm no good at names, if they're lovely, I call them lovely. Beautiful was beautiful. Congratulations though. She really is LOVELY!