Friday, June 15, 2012

Grrrr!

Well I'm about fit to be tied.

What do I have to do, bubble wrap this horse?????? This is Rio's third wreck. Fortunately the wounds aren't deep. Not sure what sent him through the fence, but I suspect horseflies and a rotten fencepost.

14 comments:

Dreaming said...

Ohhh, ouch!
I'm glad the wounds aren't deep and debilitating.

cdncowgirl said...

Oh MAN! Well if things come in three's he should be done right?
Glad it wasn't worse though.

Crystal said...

ouch! poor guy, he sure seems to have a knack for injuries.

IanH said...

Let's hope for a quick healing. Are you putting anything on the cuts?

Nikker said...

Oh man! That little turd!! Glad it wasn't worse for you!

Shirley said...

Ian, I washed him down and cold hose the leg, then sprayed Schreiners and followed it with lavender essential oil. I'll reevaluate it tomorrow, may use a wound ointment.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Glad it isn't too severe! yeesh!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Gosh darned yearlings! I guess if you think about it...Rio is actually lucky..he just kinda boo-booes himself up a little here and there. He'll grow out of it.

On a better note...I read your previous post and am always happy to hear people say they want to learn how to trim feet. I have no doubt you will pick it up quickly and enjoy having the ability to touch up the feet as they need it.

Ed said...

Ouch!!! Do they make horse downers, he is still full of piss and vinegar..;-)

lisa said...

Oh my, it seems like a horse can sure get himself into trouble quicker than snot! I am glad that it wasn't worse than it was. I will send you some bubble wrap to help with the cause ;)

Ruthlynn said...

Howdy,
Barbed wire and horses are an accident waiting to happen.We spent last summer putting up HorseGuard
http://www.horseguardfence.com/index.php
run on a Parmak solar charger. They sell arms that keep the tape off the barbed wire fence. The horse respects the fence (electric tape) and the best is the solar.The best part is the grounding is built in the tape.We have had a year and no mishaps with the yearlings nor the mares. Hope this helps you.

How Sam Sees It said...

OMG - we had to put up what we call the "Friesian Proof Fence" for our big kids - the damage they did to themselves was amazing!

Sam

Janice said...

Man that horse!!!!I'm not even sure bubble wrap would work....he'd pop all the bubbles and then find something to get into!!!!

Shirley said...

Ruthlynn, normally I use electric tape around the inside perimeter of the barbwire. Since I'm renting here, I'm not allowed to take the barb wire down. I recently changed pastures and haven't put the electric tape up around this one yet; Rio is in it by himself, and he wasn't challenging the fence at all. I think the horseflies got to him and sent him into a running frenzy, and being a yearling he likely ran straight to where he could see the mares.... only there was a fence in the way. Was.
My chore today is fence repair and set up the electric tape.