Monday, January 13, 2014

Carry on....

Penny continues to improve, and will be getting her kitten shots and another vet check tomorrow.
Tess is getting large, less than 3 weeks to whelping time. I'm so excited for pups! I think my request for a smaller litter is not going to happen though. 
This weekend, Rio goes in the Jim Anderson clinic, and Shayla will be riding him. I've been hauling them to the arena and he is coming along nicely. We have pinpointed an issue we'd like to get some help from Jim with, crossfiring at the lope. He starts out correctly and then changes behind. I think it might just be him not connecting all his body because he grew so quickly in the last year from this: (Jan. 30 last year)

to this:


He grew a full hand in height, maybe more, and he is still learning how to handle all that body.  He doesn't have a lot of rides on him, maybe 90? at the most, so he still needs to develop the muscle he needs to carry that 15.3hh body around.
This video was taken today, please ignore the background voice, someone else was getting a lesson. This was just asking him to stay nicely in frame at the trot.

8 comments:

Michele said...

Can't wait to see more kitty pics!

Boss Mare Eventing said...

He's looking really nice! Probably just a growing and balance issue that will work out over time. Can't wait to hear about the clinic.

Boss Mare Eventing said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry Sikstrom said...

gorgeous! Funny that crossfiring thing, one of the most talented horses I owned did it, and on a 30 meter circle. I swear he just did it because he could! A little about balance and growth and a little ,eh, just cause he could! LOL . Eventually gave it up and smoothed out into a lovely ride (the horse was my old fellow Chips)

Montanagirl said...

He's such a beauty. Can't wait to see more of Penny and the pups that are arriving!

cheyenne jones said...

I really enjoyed that. Looking good, calm and positive, nice shape, and to be honest, quality animal.

Unknown said...

Okay, so my horse has 10 years of riding on him and he doesn't look that nice!

lisa said...

Boy, it has been awhile since I have caught up with everyone. Sounds like Rio is coming along just great. Glad to hear Penny is doing better. I sent you a Christmas card but it was sent back (I didn't have enough postage!) The ponies are doing good with the halters, Scout likes taking his off if he can get it loosened enough!