Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Working with Josie

The focus has been so much on Rio lately, that I haven't given Josie much time. So today, when the sun popped out this afternoon I figured it was the perfect time to bring her out all by her li'l self and work with her.

She has never had to stand tied, and although I can lead her no problem, and we have ponied her, so that she knows a fair bit about giving to pressure, standing tied is a whole 'nother deal.
My goal today: First lesson in standing tied (without actually tying her); pick up and clean all 4 feet in a new environment, and start her circling around me on the lead as a prelude to learning about longeing.
It only took a few minutes to get her going around me both ways on the lead line so we headed over to the hitching rail.
I figured she'd have an opinion about the hitching rail. It took a moment or two though, at first she just stood there....

Then thought about leaving.....
and thought a little harder about leaving.....
I let the slack run as she goes backwards.

Once she had settled, I rewarded her with some grazing, so nice to see the grass in January!
I noticed a branch that had fallen from the tree so I thought this would be a good opportunity to do some sacking out.

 I picked it up, showed it to her, and led her around as I carried it and waved it around, also I dragged it behind me as I led her. It didn't bother her a lot, in fact she was soon stepping on it as we went.
I was able to pet her all over with it, and let it lay on her back as I got her to walk around me.
I'm pretty happy with the mind on this filly; she learns fast, doesn't get into fits about things, and she sure is easy on the eyes!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice work - I've never had a young un and it's interesting to read about what you do with her. She seems very level headed and she sure is good looking.

Michele said...

Yes maam, she is easy on the eyes. I love red horses. Always have. :)
She sure is a cutie pie!

CDH said...

What a good girl. I see the 12 o'clock doggie! :)

The Dancing Donkey said...

I hadn't noticed the little white snip on her nose. She is a cutie and sure has a nice eye.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

good girl! you can sure see when she decided it wasn't worth the effort to pull

Montanagirl said...

She is truly easy on the eyes, and I like a horse that's not skittish. I remember one time when my Dad and I were out riding, and came across some pigs - I thought my horse (Gypsy, half QH and half Thoroughbred) was going to unseat me. She literally jumped about 3 feet straight to the side and almost lost me.

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

I don't know what it is, but I am intimidated by babies! Our Luna is short of being a yearling, and she's BIG, and naughty, hasn't been worked with much, and it's not going to be me who starts it! I hope Luna is as smart as Josie appears to be!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

thecrazysheeplady said...

She's a lovely filly and getting a great start!

aurora said...

Nice, good minded girl! She is not taking her eye off you, well except to munch.