We had seen her around for the last few weeks, maybe just before Christmas. A tiny thing, elusive, just a glimpse here and there.
We were concerned for her safety, but there really was nothing we could do.
After all, we thought she was feral.
Then a few days ago, Ted said he thought she was living under our house.
Yesterday, she came slowly up the stairs to our deck, only to run away as Ted approached.
Today, she came all the way up to the top step and pressed her head into the opening on the gate, unfazed by Merle's presence. This time, she didn't retreat far.
She was hungry, and hurting. Starving, in fact.
Ted called me out to see her, and I brought a dish of cat food. She went for it and I picked her up, and knew right away that she was in dire need when I felt her backbone and the matted hair above a wound on her back.
I brought her in and had a good look at her.
I clipped the matted hair and found a very nasty, abscessed wound.
It was plain that we needed to take her to the vet, so we loaded her up and headed for Bonner's Ferry, Idaho. (How about that 70's lino in my bathroom? ) I wrapped her in a towel, and put her in a cat carrier- she was quiet for the whole trip.
I thought maybe the resident barn owls, or the red-tailed hawks had done this to her, but one look at her and the vet said that she had been attacked by a tomcat; we have several feral tomcats in this area, and they had been hanging out at the big haystacks 50 yards from our home. One day about a week ago I had heard some yowling, so that is probably when it happened.
Anyway, once the vet was done and had given her a long lasting antibiotic shot, we brought her home. As you can see by the following photo, they shaved her wounds, which were quite extensive. The pus is gone and all cleaned out now all I have to do is keep the wound open and draining, and give her as much kitten chow as she desires.
I really don't think she is feral, because she doesn't mind being handled- which likely means someone dropped her off here.
For a couple of reasons, I named her Pretty Penny. We do have someone who is willing to adopt her once she is healthy, but I don't know... I kinda like her and she seems to really like me. She climbs up on me to cuddle. Awwww! We shall see.
23 comments:
Howdy, so how did the kitten get all those wounds? Animal attack?
Glad you are getting her looked after.She will be a good mouser for you.
poor little kitty :(
hope no one hurt her! looks more like a human meanie did it to her :(
Oh my! That's pretty nasty! Glad she found you...She sure is a pretty kitty..
Sheesh! Don't you guys read what I write? :o)
Another life saved!!! YAY! You have big hearts, Ted and Shirley. I think she came your way for a reason :)
What a pretty girl, just look at those eyes. She sounds like a sweetheart! So lucky to have found herself in the hands of kindness. You are good people! I believe animals sense when humans are trying to help them. Hope she heals okay, those woulds look pretty extensive.
*wounds
I read what you wrote Shirley :) The first thing that popped into my head is the possibility of kittens. She sure is pretty, and I have been sorta kinda looking for a black and white cat myself. She's very lucky she landed on your doorstep that's for sure!
I read it. I just love animals so much, that their suffering is very hard on me. Jesus gave me a very tender heart.
Oh wot that poor little girl
that should read *wow* anyway, so glad you guys helped her out.
I think she is less than 3 months old.
big toms can do a lot of damage. We have a solution for big toms who have large egos who come stomping in here.. I won't name it though.. But I have first handily seen the damage they can inflict on a smaller cat.
For the relative size of a cat I think they can endure the largest wounds of any other animal. They must be seriously tough creatures!
And I don't care who you are, that purr has something to do with the ability to heal wounds like that!!
Poor little girl.. give her a rub under the chin for me!
That poor sweet little baby! Tomcats can do serious damage. So glad you took her in and had her looked at. I think she'd fit right in...she's got the same coloring as your dogs! :)
poor darling! glad you were able to catch and help her!
That's really kind and generous of you guys to take her to a vet and get her fixed up. I think you should keep her.
Lucky kitty to have been dropped off at your place. She's pretty cute, would be hard to give her to someone else if it was me.
Love the mention of the 70's flooring :). I've got 1980's cabinets and fornica throughout my house. Priorities.....
Poor little Penny.
It's so great that you took her to get medical care and are nursing her back to health!
It's always been my experience that once I name someone, they somehow never leave my home!
:)
What a PRETTY kitty!! poor little thing, that must be PAINFUL!!! Good job she has you to care for her!!
Holy cow!!! Thank you for saving her!!!
She is a lucky little kitty. Looks like she in terrible shape...poor thing:(
WOWzers, I'm glad she let you and Ted take care of her, that takes a lot of trust in a kitty, or desperation.
Post a Comment