Saturday, March 2, 2013

Foaling Contest 2013

Oh yes.... it's that time again!
The mares are feeling good, shedding like crazy, and pretty lazy- until I make them go out into their paddock (They have 24/7 access to it but prefer to hang out in their big shelter where they get fed).
A little persuading, a little attitude, and off they went. 
Say, mama Belle, this isn't try-outs for the rodeo! That lump on her belly is the milk vein, by the way.
Belle is not convinced that she shouldn't be doing rodeo moves when she is due to foal in the not too distant future.
Belle keeps two feet on the ground, but Gussie shows her how to fly with all feet off the ground!
Yes- the ladies in waiting are in fine fettle!
Excuse the dirt- I did brush them both, but of course that's just an invitation to roll.

Anyway- back to the purpose of this post: The Foaling Contest!
Here is how it works:
1. Guess colt or filly
2. Guess the day and time, make sure you say AM or PM on the time.
3. Guess the color.
The person with the closest-to-correct guess wins the prize! Up for grabs is one of my hand made rope halters.

 First winner gets the pick of camo or blue- and if the winner doesn't own a horse they can choose to give the halter to someone who does, or I will send them a surprise prize. 

Here are some helpful hints for your guesses. The average gestation for mares is 11 months and 5 days- give or take a week or so! Since both mares were bred on the same days, the foals** should** be born really close in dates.(Ha!) The last day they were bred was April 18th last year, so averaging it out the date should be March 23rd. (Again- Ha!)
Coyote Belle is homozygous for black, which means she cannot throw red-bases foals such as sorrel, chestnut or palomino. She carries the dilute gene, so her foals can be black, brown or bay, or the dilute variations of those colors: smoky black (Rio and Kai ) smoky brown, or buckskin. Her first foal, Sparkle (aka Jazz on Own a Morgan & QH blog) and her last foal Nitro are both brown.
Gussie has thrown two blue roans from Beamer. I don't know if Beamer is homozygous for black as I have never had him tested. So there is a possibility that she could throw a red roan or a sorrel.
So- fire away with your guesses! Please read all the comments so that you don't make the exact same guess as someone else. I'll pin this post and make a list on my sidebar once the guesses start coming in. 


35 comments:

Paint Girl said...

Yeah! This is always fun!
Coyote Belle's baby- 11:30 p.m. on March 25th, brown colt.
Gussie's baby- 1:00 a.m. on March 28th, blue roan filly.

CDH said...

Oh fun. You mention they both have had 2 babies each. Belle will foal on march 25 at 10:00am, a bay filly. And Gussie will foal on march 27 at 2pm, a sorrel colt. Thats my guess. Should I pick my halter now!? :) hehehe

Two Blondes and an Appy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Two Blondes and an Appy said...

Belle’s Baby:
1) Gender: Colt
2) Date/Time: Tuesday April 2nd at 11:30pm
3) Color: He is GOING to be jet black with 4 very unique white stockings and a funky blaze (we’ll just go with black for the contest though…. I might have been dreaming a little ;)!

Gussie’s baby:
4) Gender: Filly
5) Date/Time: Thursday April 4th at 2:15am
6) Color: Blue Roan

Susan said...

I'll go with my two sisters' birthdays.
Belle- March 20th, 4:17am, filly, brown
Gussie- March 26th, 4:11am filly, red roan

Keechy said...

Belle: Buckskin colt (Because that's what I'd like :) ) 3am, 21st March.

Gussie: Red roan colt, 3am, 25th March.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Belle, Mar 24 early morning. Brown colt
Gussie, Mar 27 blue roan filly
I am terrible at these contests, you would think with all the foals I have raised I would be better but... Oh well here's to healthy beautiful babies

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Guess for Gussie is early morning hours as well

Mary said...

Belle-March 23rd 3:00 am smoky brown Colt,
Gussie-March 24th 4:00 am red roan, filly.

Janice said...

Well it's that time ...finally..not even my horses and I'm excited.

Belle: She likes to be late...so Mar 31 12:30 Am Brown Filly

Gussie: Mar 27 11:30 PM
Blue Colt

Crystal said...

Oh boy, I never know, its all a guess, but here goes.

Belle black filly (she has to throw a solid black sometime and about time for another filly) March 28, midnight.

Gussie, blue roan colt March 24 midnight as well.

Montanagirl said...

I always love your "running horses" photos. They sure are frisky! I'll let the more knowledgeable folks do the guessing.

smazourek said...

Well your mares are due the same day I am (23rd), so I'm going to guess that we all give birth with the full moon on March 27. I'm having a boy so I'll also guess that they'll have fillies.

Babypalooza!

Shirley said...

Smazourek- you have to refine your guesses- I need color and time from you to differentiate your guesses from others with the same day and sex.

Michele said...

i say gussie has a philly, and red roan :D april 16th.

Michele said...

3:25 pm

Two Blondes and an Appy said...

Hey Shirley, will you make a guess too?!

Shirley said...

No- this is just for my blog readers! All I can say is that I'm hoping for a filly and a colt- and sooner rather than later!

CatterinaX said...

OK, tried to bet earlier, but don't think I was logged in, so sorry if this is a repeat:

Belle: brown filly, 3:00 a.m., March 29

Gussie: red roan colt, 5:00 a.m., March 30

CG said...

Belle:
Mar. 22 4am brown filly

Gussie:
Apr 8 sorrel filly

I can't wait for pictures!!

CG said...

oops- see above, Gussie 1am

Janice Grinyer said...

BABIES!!!

I guess that isnt an answer as its more like a statement!

I have to think on this one...

Michele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ok let me give this a shot.

Belle- March 27th 3 am colt dark brown

Gussie- March 25th 10pm filly blue roan.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Gussie Red Roan Filly March 25 6AM

Coyote Belle Smoky Brown Colt March 26 2AM
What fun! I hope they both have uneventfull births:)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

The Foals are coming!! The Foals are coming! Very exciting every time!

The ladies look fit and happy. And those halters are a work of art.

Here's my guess for Coyote Belle:

March 30, 2 AM
Smoky Black Colt

And Gussie:

March 29, 12 AM
Blue Roan Filly

Let the waiting begin!
~Lisa

Prairie Ridge Performance Horses said...

both girls: March 29th 2013, Belle first, smoky black colt 10am,
gussbuster, blue roan filly, 6pm.

good luck my friend, will be waiting for updates!!!

Linda said...

Both stud colts. Gussie on April 3rd, a blue roan at 7:15 AM and Belle on March 28 at 7:00 PM...a black!

Nikker said...

Belle: 4:00 a.m. black chromed up filly on March 19 Gussie: 2:30 a.m. bay roan colt.
PS... That's actually my "order" for Belle's baby! (0;

Shirley said...

My sister, Michele, with my approval changed her guess to April 4 at 3:25 AM after she re read the info on foaling on the post- her guess would have been a year from the breeding dates!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Smart to change her guess, but I have had a mare go nearly that long

Kurious Kim said...

Belle: March 31, bay filly, 2:32 am
Gussie: April 3, red roan filly, 1:57 am
I know you want fillys so I'm trying to send some good luck your way with my guesses!

allhorsestuff said...

OHHWA!!! Look at that Gussie mare!
She is so ready and I am praying it is a:
FILLY

Red Roan-
but Sorrel would be too cool!

MARCH 17th around 7 PM... just enough light for you to take some evening photos, Sunset time!

And the C Belle mare~
She too will be having a :

FILLY

A Black Bay one

Sunday the 24th around 11:30 pm

Yee ha!!!

Shirley said...

This guess is from Jessie D., she tried to leave a comment from her mobile phone but it didn't work so she sent it via Facebook:
Belle:March 27, 1:30 AM, smokey black filly. Gussie: March 20, 9:30 PM, blue roan colt.

cdncowgirl said...

Ok here are mine:

Belle - Mar 28th, 1:15am, filly, black.

Gussie - Mar 27th, 3:30am, colt, blue roan