Monday, April 18, 2016

Coulee

My friend Janice was kind enough to hitch up her truck and trailer and her and I and a whole bunch of border collies headed to Olds Alberta on Sunday morning to pick up my new mare. We tool all 3 of my dogs- Tess of course; couldn't leave the pup behind, or old Reba so they all got to come, along with Janice's dog Kali, who is a daughter of my Tess dog. Janice has one of those Cordura dog hammocks for the back seat of the truck, and we put Kali and Reba in there and Tess and Thea got their beds in the back of the truck, which has a really nice tall canopy. Very cool truck, by  the way, a 2013 black Ford with twin turbo V6 engine- passing slowpokes was not a problem!
The mare seemed to be really sensible, a little lighter bodied than I thought- but she had been ridden a bunch lately, and the seller said she didn't feed her that morning because she doesn't like to feed them before they are hauled. That kind of ticked me off- that was one hungry mare by the time we got her where we could feed her.
It was a long day, but we made it back to Janice's place by 8:30 PM ( I left home at 5:30 AM) and put Coulee in a nice big stall for the night. They had been calling her Chloe but I really dislike that name after seeing it plastered all over the tabloids with the word Kardashian after it, so I changed it to something that sounds similar but a little more Western- Coulee.
3 of Janice's horses were able to visit over the stall door, so there was a lot of squealing going on. Coulee was really hungry, but also wanted to visit. There was squealing going on throughout the night. Janice went out a little later to throw her horses some hay, and had to enter the stall to put some hay over to an outside stall (we had her in a stall that bordered 2 stalls and used part of the alleyway to make a large area for her) and danged if she didn't pin her ears and snake her neck at Janice. I get that it was a long day, she was hungry and overwhelmed by the other horses but that pinny eared stuff is not allowed! And of course, Janice straightened her out about that- but it's something I will be watching for in the future.
In the morning she was back to her normal self. Coluee and Jazz  (Janice's horse who is a daughter of Beamer and Coyote Belle) are actually cousins- they each have a parent sired by Durable Shine, so we took some photos of them together. Lots of similarities, they both have brown muzzles, long ears and big hineys. Jazz has a nicer larger eye and is thicker bodied, but they are quite similar. It will be fun riding them together this year.
Jazz on the left, Coulee on the right
Coulee was so good, just stood quietly, no fussing.

Oh those ears!

Oops the photos is a little crooked- the barn isn't built downhill!
Once I got her home, Beamer was really happy to see her! He was pretty lonely the last little while with just cows for company. 
I'll get more photos of her tomorrow; I will be doing round pen basics on her just to see where she is at- I already know that she doesn't have much of that, but what little I did with her today she picked up quickly. She's going to be fun! 


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

She sure is a beauty! Keep us posted! :) Can't wait to meet her in July!

Kalin said...

She's a pretty girl!

IanH said...

Looks like a good horse! Better. Trade that truck in on a Volkswagon to keep Notley happy. :-}

Crystal said...

Shes kinda pretty. Hope she works out, its hard finding the right match. Are you still getting the pally?
And I'm game for a blogger ride, just let me know when and I will clear my schedule :) I'd like to come up there sometime too we will have to see how the summer goes

T.L. Merrybard said...

Poor girl looks a bit sore and tired in that last pic. The ear pinning might have been due to the same thing. I had a youngster shipped from the Eastern states here in Oz and he was super grumpy and pinny the first couple of days after he arrived but then he cheered up. I think he was just sore all over. I reckon they get sore in the neck especially (and probably therefore headachey) from long trips. Plus if she had an empty tum that first leg, she might have had a bit of an ulcery tummy too. Makes me grumpy to have an acidy hollow tummy too. :P

T.L. Merrybard said...

Ps. eye size and shape can change markedly with stress or contentment, so wait and see how she ends up looking after a while. My sis's current young one had quite small eyes, but as she has worked with him more and he feels more loved and safe, his eye is growing much bigger and softer.

Anonymous said...

Crabbiness could be just due to hunger or even a touch of ulcers. She looks like a nice one and I'll bet you're going to have lots of fun!

aurora said...

Don't know much about long hauls, but we keep a little hay in front of ours when trailering. Keeps them happy. Looks like she gets along well with Jazz. Wishing you guys happy trails!!

Sarah said...

I love her name!!! She is just lovely! I'm so lookinglad forward to all her stories!

Shirley said...

TL Merrybard- interesting about your sister's horse. I think it will take Coulee a while to settle in, and yes, I get crabby too on an empty tummy!

Janice said...

Kissing Cousins.....it was neat to see that they took to each other right away. That photo of the ears is priceless ....it's a good thing the rest of them is really good. I still can't get over how sensible and cool minded she is....wish Jazz was more like her in that respect. I just can't wait to have them ride together. Crystal says she wants to come out this way again....pick a week end when Teds home and Dave's not and we can have a girls week end ride. Lots of places right around here we can go.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

They really do have some similarities. That is cool, especially considering they are only cousins.

Far Side of Fifty said...

She looks real pretty and I hope she works out real good for you! :)