Saturday, April 9, 2016

The Contenders


Here is the line up of horses I am considering. I may even buy 2 if things work out that way.

This first horse is a 3 year old, she was started last year, has trailed cattle, had a rope swung off her, and is currently being used for calving season on a ranch. Lots of ranch riding done on her already.  They did a little bit of roping with her and it looks like she is a good minded young mare. A little younger than I like but has more riding than some 5 yr olds. As long as she is sound, she might be a nice mare for me. She looks like she has a good solid build. She comes from a line of cutting horses descended from Smart Little Lena. She is close to the top of my budget.
Catchin Sun Spots

The next horse is a daughter of Cat Itchi, she is 4 years old and was trained for cutting by Dustin Gronnet but didn't make his show string. Since then she has been used on the ranch. Her owner is a mother with 3 children who says she only rides horses she feels safe on- she rides this one. This mare is used on the ranch. They are selling her to pay for a barrel horse for one of the daughters. She is at the very top of my budget- maybe even over as the lady said she might come down to my budget- but it's not a given. This is the only photo I have of her, but I will be trying her out on Monday.
Dot E

Next up is an 11 year old mare  that I really like. She carries the bloodlines of Peppy San Badger and Genuine Doc. She trail rides, has been used in parades, will pull a sleigh with kids or logs, is pretty much bomb proof. Has raised some foals. I have a friend checking her out for me as she is a long way from here.  I have a good feeling about this mare- and if I buy her I may be able to buy another one too, if she is a good kids horse I'd like to have her around for my nieces to ride so I can take them out on trail rides.
HQH Genuine Blonde

Then there is this mare; she is currently in foal, and comes from foundation bloodlines. She does trace back to the Hancock horses but it's 9 generations back so I might overlook that. Here is what her owner says: " She has been rode inside and out, she has a great willing mind and very easily forgives ... we normally give her to the beginner or people who we aren't sure how good of a ride they are as we know she is safe . Never bucked reared or anything silly. Not herd bound . Loves having a job to do. She's a big solid mare but as sweet as a puppy .. My mother in law rode her all winter as my mom hasn't rode in 14 years and wanted to get back to it . So she spent the winter trail riding . She knows the basics but has never perfected them."
DAL Diamond Lady

This one I would go check out in May after she foals- they are keeping the foal- and I should be able to ride her a little bit, enough to get a feel for her and see if she would work out for me. But I wouldn't be able to bring her home until the fall. This would only work if I bought the palomino too.

16 comments:

Rocking E Cowgirl said...

I don't envy you... Horse shopping can be stressful! The mare, Dot E, looks like a good catch! Will you do a pre-purchase exam?

Shirley said...

No, Allie- I rely on my own judgement and the opinion of other people that I trust that are long time horsemen. I can usually spot if anything is off.

IanH said...

Nice looking horses, but a tough decision. Good luck!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

hmm, the 2 bottom mares look promising and are of breeding I personally like(well not soo much the Hancock but as you say its a long way back) but that first little mare sounds like a sweet deal also for all the riding she has had.Looks like you have some good ones to choose from

thecrazysheeplady said...

Ugh, back to horse shopping. Look like some good possibilities though.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Just the first round picks...it will be interesting to see how they do:)

Montanagirl said...

I really like the coloring on the last one. Good luck!!

Janice said...

I like Pal / Dot E / And the last one. Would like to know more about the last one. I am partial to Pals but that's not why I like this horse, I love the overall presence of her, her build and that face is a kind face. Would make awesome Beamer kids. I'm wondering though if she might be too layed back for you, it would be ok if she's just a good babysitter and then a bit more into it with an experienced person. Dot E pic doesn't do much for her makes her neck look to thin and short but she sounds nice. The roan has a nice build, good looking ....would make nice Beamer babies. You never said much about her training? My first pic is the Genuine Blonde. Not being rude or anything but first horse doesn't do a thing for me....but you know I'm not buying it so it doesn't matter what I think. Some really nice choices there....good luck!!!!!

Janice said...

Not really partial to the second one either, she sounds good though. To be fair none of the pics of these horses are all that great really, so makes it pretty hard to judge. I would say they are all worth checking out.

Crystal said...

Hmm I hear a lot of Cat Ichi mares are a bit hot sometimes. I like the first one most but for you I'm think the pally might be the best. Good luck, I cant pick a horse from pics, I gotta see them in real.

Linda said...

Ooooo horse shopping. I'm partial to the first mare but she IS young. I'm always on the lookout for a good gelding....not allowed to have mares anymore.

aurora said...

It will be interesting to see which horse you end up choosing. You have a good eye & bring home nice ones.

T.L. Merrybard said...

The pally has a sweet face. Dot E looks to maybe have a bit of a quirk bump on her forehead. That would put me off if the photo is not to blame. The roan mare is a tank, which I love! I'm not keen on the three year old already having done so much work. She might be sound now but it might show down the road a few years. She still looks pretty immature to be carrying that man and saddle far.

Shirley said...

TL Merrybard I sure do agree with you. I don't like that much work on a 2-3 yr old, so that's why I said if it's sound. I didn't like the face on Dot E either and in fact have ruled her out.

Unknown said...

Lots of good options!

Linda said...

I like the first one--because she's working--and I like her looks. I love Blonde girl. Perfect age. Sounds like an awesome horse, and those are priceless!! Many times I have wished that I had more solid horses that company can ride. And, I'd be interested to hear more about the last one. I love her beautiful head and that roaning. But it's a long time until fall.