This afternoon I had planned on riding Beamer, but he was pretty sore so I spent some time with him trimming his front feet and massaging wintergreen oil into the swelling on his knee, and then giving him a good grooming.
Then I took Mesa to the round pen. The ground has gone back to being soft again, it isn't frozen in there at all. Maybe I chose well putting it under the trees, because the other spots I considered still have a few inches of snow and ice.
As you can see my timing sucked, I didn't stop as quickly as I should have.
Then I moved on to sacking her out- I had a saddle blanket this time.
She does have a li'l bit of 'tude and is handy with that back right foot! After this I longed her for a bit to let her work off some of that 'tude- she is learning not to crowd me and is stopping fairly consistently when I ask for a whoa with just voice and body language.
Then I had her carry the saddle blanket back up to the barn for me.
Easy peasy! So she seems to have a pattern going, where she will test whatever it is I am asking her to do, but with patience and consistency she figures things out fast and just accepts things. Next session we will review the tarp work as well as the blanket and longeing.
2 comments:
👏. That’s awesome! She is doing great. That’s all you can hope for—to think it through, then accept it. She seems very calm.
She looks very smart. I don't see any timing issues, she is responding great. To answer your question on my blog, Draper's breeding is Otoe and Creed. There is a local couple that bought a group of mares and a stallion out of Arkansas I believe. Draper is our third from them. Most seem to be really good minded horses. Our farrier has several too, he ropes with his, other are using them as barrel horses.
Post a Comment