As many of you know, I am not enjoying riding Rosalee, even though she is a really well broke horse, she does not want to do what I want to do. I really think she needs to go to a person who will use her lots and preferably take her back to the show ring.
I set a lot of store by connections. If I have a connection with a horse it makes a huge difference to me. I have wanted to have that connection with Rosalee, but it just isn't there. I had more of a connection with Clancy, but she didn't want to do what I wanted to do either; I want both trails and arena work. Clancy wanted no part of arenas and Rosalee wants no part of trails.
I found out that Gussie is up for sale. Do you remember my big beautiful red roan mare who had the twins? I sold both her and mama Belle after that disastrous year when I lost both the twins and Belle's filly Stella. For the last few months I have really been thinking about Gussie a lot, and to find out that she was for sale kind of threw me for a loop. I checked into it, and he wants a lot more than I sold her for as he has invested a fair amount of money into training her. She has done some ranch roping, has done barrels and poles, and just advanced a lot. Since I know her, I am pretty sure she would fit what I want to do. She is 15 this year.
My dilemma is, I am limited to how many horses I can have, as I won't own more than I can afford to keep. For me to own another horse, I have to sell one. And that takes me back to connections.....
The only one I would sell is Rosalee.
So- I put her on a few Facebook sites, but priced her fairly high. I have some interest in her but mostly tire kickers. I think some would like to have her but not the foal. I would like to keep the foal to sell. So it may be a long process, and that may mean I won't be able to buy Gussie back- unless she doesn't sell either.
Which leads me to another decision! If Gussie sells to someone else, I would definitely keep Rosalee until her foal is weaned. I have the option of breeding Rosalee to Dun It OK (aka Woodrow)- he's the grullo stud that Belle was AI'd to and didn't take. Both Rosalee and Woodrow have been shown in reining and are money earners, so that would be a very sellable foal. Or I could leave her open and try to sell her after weaning her foal.
4 months to foaling time!
There is one more option and that is to keep Rosalee as a broodmare- I think she will be a great mama- and sell her foals every year, which will pay for upkeep on the other horses. That being said, I can now answer Crystal's question- this foal will be for sale. I have my Beamer daughter in Mesa, and Belle will be bred this year, either by Beamer or by Woodrow if Rosalee sells.
But it doesn't leave me with a riding horse for the next couple of years. Beamer is good for very short rides but not anything strenuous or long. I rode him yesterday and he started out like this:
but shortly after that, he stopped abruptly like he did before and wouldn't go any further. I did get him going again but then it was like this:
If you listen, you will hear his uneven footfalls, he was favouring that arthritic leg. I think it's likely he stops when that leg starts to hurt. So my rides on him will be short, just enough to get him out and enjoy himself without causing him pain.
So- those are my options!
Would love to hear your thoughts!
Also since he/she will be for sale- anyone want to buy a Beamer/Rosalee foal?
Riding day 5
7 comments:
Yes, the bob of his head is also an indicator. I imagine, with Beamer, there will be good and bad days, but I’m a firm believer in keeping them going. Maybe a little Bute before a ride—that’s what my vet suggested for Cowboy. She also suggested Bute after the ride. I would love one of your foals, but my getting another horse is totally dependent on Cowboy’s lifespan. If Bee doesn’t work out, I may be looking sooner.
Rosalee is so pretty. I bet her foal would be as well. If I needed another horse Id be tempted but I got a lot here and for the next few years. My trouble is I always want more. haha. I was asked if I would sell any and my only thought was maybe Nita after she foals, unless I really like riding her which I never did much of this summer. And that's weird to like everyone so much. Although things may change with Pally, I got a couple people asking about her for there kids.....and she does like kids more than me so its tough
It is so tough making horse decisions! I admire you for not keeping too many horses and also for knowing when it's not the right fit, and then finding those horses good homes that do fit. You deserve a riding horse that meets your needs. I bet Rosalee would sell to a good show home if she wasn't in foal. Most show people I know don't want to deal with babies/young horses, they want them broke & trained. To be honest with you, I was very surprised when you sold Gussie. I want to say "buy her back" but instead, I would suggest digging deep into what made you sell her in the first place. Whatever it was, is probably still there. Thought it was something about her personality, or being too much horse/forward? I can't remember, but know you wrote about it in your blog. Follow your heart with an open mind, and you will make the right decision for you.
A good part of the reason I sold Gussie was because of her size- she is a big mare. At the time I had shoulder problems and getting her saddled was a chore. I'm over that now and I have a lighter saddle that fits her.The other part of why I sold her was because of losing the foals, I sold my mares and was done with raising foals. But owning geldings (Kai, at the tine) wasn't where my heart was either; I'm a mare person. I'll have t look back on my blog and see what else was bothering me about her at the time.
Gussie is a beautiful mare! I do hope you get her back, if that's what feels best for you :) You will know, and any horse would be lucky to be yours! You are such a good horse mom!!
Having horses and none to ride like you want to is a real bummer. I am sure you will figure it all out! Gussie may be the answer at least you know what you are getting:)
Poor Beamer, that how I walk some days...never can tell about arthritis:(
Post a Comment