Today the weather climbed above freezing and I could tell that Beamer was feeling pretty good; he didn't want to stand still at the mounting block for my clumsy way of getting on bareback; I have trouble lifting my leg over his butt as my hip mobility decreases. Then Mesa and Rosalee decided to gallop along the fenceline as I started out on my ride, which of course brought Beamer's energy level up too. So I just rode him back and forth along the same line until everybody settled down, then off we headed down to the dyke for our first ride of the winter down there. I like riding it in the winter as all the rocks are covered up and the footing is pretty good.
There is some open water in the river but you can see that the ice jams are starting.
The ride started out good, but then Beamer decided that he had ventured far enough away from his herd....
That about-face at the end of the video was all him, I didn't ask for it! As soon as I wasn't paying attention because I was busy with the camera, he made his stand; he didn't want to go any further. So it was back him in the direction I wanted to go, try to turn (not always successfully) and go forward again... rinse and repeat.... then I got him facing the way I wanted and just sat quietly for a few minutes..... then off we went. After I knew he was lined out and with the program, I turned back and headed home. When we got to where the mares were they started in again ripping around, which of course got Beamer feeling all *manly*....
Riding day 3
3 comments:
Oh to be able to hop on a horse & just ride bareback, and alone. Sounds lovely, even if Beamer did voice his opinion. I didn't comment on your post, because I've already won two of your awesome giveaways - it's someone else's turn. It's a lovely prize! Happy Bloggerversary!! So honored to be part of your journey, even if from afar.
What a beautiful setting. Beamer’s about face was at least rideable. They don’t like leaving their herd in winter. It says a lot about him that he did that well. More rides away and he’ll be all good!! He sure looks gorgeous. I love riding in snow, too. It’s only the ice I don’t like. You’re off to a wonderful start this year...and on your heart Horse!
That view from atop Beamer is magnificent! He may voice his opinions, but he does it without being rude. What a good boy! And yes, cold weather frivolities are to be expected, and I'll just bet those kids riled the mares up and in turn, they wanted to strut their stuff for such a handsome guy! Can you blame them? You are making me totally jealous with your beautiful winter riding. No winter weather here, just grey and foggy, warm and wet. Oh, and mud. Plenty of mud...
Post a Comment