Lets start off with Beamer writing his name in the snow. It was another sunny day and we found a lovely patch of snow. It was too big for a still photo so I took a li'l video.
We rode the pond loop and saw lots of deer tracks, and checked out the view of the pond from the back side. 2 months ago there was nothing but rocks where there is now a couple of feet of water; it seems strange that the water table rises in the winter, but I guess the snow pack melts enough to provide new water.
So- today is my 10 year anniversary of blogging. I think I have been fairly consistent, and this blog has been with me through many changes- (there's my 2018 word again). One thing for sure is that I have come to know, either virtually or in person, many fine people because of this blog. I appreciate each and every one of you!
To show my appreciation, I am doing a giveaway- just leave a comment on this post and next Monday I will do a random draw for a winner! Here is what's up for grabs:
It's a glass spoon rest or trinket tray- perfect size for your cell phone too. Don't worry if you live far away- I am willing to ship anywhere in the world!
I hope you like it- so enter up! Would love to read comments about where you are in the world and how horses have impacted your life, even if you don't own them. They have been a huge part of my life and the best therapy for what ails you that I can find (along with my dogs ).
Riding day 2
16 comments:
I love my horse, for being herself. Sometimes a shining example for other horses to follow, sometimes...not so much. But most of the time, a kind partner in whatever I aim her at to do. When friends are scarce, and family are not so family like. She is always ready to go. She is my partner.
Horses are my joy, and the older I get, the more I need it. I listened to a song today called Breathless by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and I thought of it as a prayer of complete Thanksgiving and love for the creator. I stood in front of my big window--sun shining in--horses in view--and threw up my arms at how beautiful it was. Made my soul soar. I was able to work with Beautiful Girl before coming in--23 degrees and sun reflecting off the snow everywhere. Just magical. I wish I never had to leave. Before I left, I did take pictures of their faces--a few nose shots--they've given me comfort here at work. So, yeah, they're my medicine. My heaven. Leaving them is hell for me.
Lovely job writing his name it looks so big no wonder it didn't fit in one photo!
Wow 10 years that a long time and you are so consistant in writing its nice to come here and read about your ponies.
I love my ponies all of them, pretty much equally for different reasons, I love going out there and they are definitly my sanity as well, Its been a couple months since I rode and I can sure tell both my body and my mind need them back. And as much as I love them on the ground I still need to ride
Whoohoo for Beamer! He did a fine job. Your snow is so bright and beautiful, we had a light dusting and some ice on Christmas Eve, but that's it so far. Was reading my blog posts from last January and by this time we'd had several snow happenings and the weather was much colder. It also rained for 6-7 months straight. Ack! So not missing that! :)
Anyway, coming to you from Yamhill, Oregon - tiny town about 45 minutes SW of Portland in the Northern Willamette Valley. A beautiful place to call home. And horses, oh my goodness where would I begin? For as long as I have memory, I've been totally smitten with horses. They've been my best friend, soul-supporter, wise counselor and greatest asset to adventure in life. To put it simply, I don't think I could enjoy life without my horses or my dogs. They are my greatest teachers. And many times, I feel like their humble servant. Not a bad thing to be. Best wishes for many blessings in this new year to you and all of yours!
Love the name writing, amazing that Beamer puts up with you! Lived in New York state all my life. I have loved horses since I can remember. Had some as friends, took some riding lessons, went on a "trail ride" as a kid in Yellowstone, but never owned one till I was a teenager, didn't last long. Went on to work in animal hospitals all my younger life. Now I am old enough to be retired, but work at a desk for a company that helps airports all over the world, manage wildlife hazards. I have an addiction for trail cameras and have about sixteen of them out there shooting wildlife all over my upstate NY "neighborhood". Checking the memory cards in my cams (on my four-wheeler) is like opening Christmas presents! I have a labradoodle, 5 cats, and 4 chickens. I have been following your blog for years, especially loving the birth of foals and watching them grow. It is so amazing with today's technology for me to be "knowing" someone so far away. Anyway, your blog is one I check on a regular basis and get excited when there is a new post. You take amazing pictures and make it look so effortless. Sorry I never comment very much, I always feel that no one is really interested in my drivel! LOL! Keep on keeping on!
Happy Anniversary! and Happy New Year, so glad I met you through blogging. Hoping to get back at mine this year!
Although, I have given up riding I have not given up loving horses. We have two equines on the farm a pretty much damaged Mule who is making huge strides in trust again and Romeo a 12x winner in the Paint World...now retired (except for stud services).
It's been fun following your blog over the years Happy Anniversary!
Just in case you don't recognize the name Shirley, I finally figured out how to change "Kim on the Move" (from the India trip) to "Kurious Kim"! Me and technology have a love-hate relationship.
Geez, I think I've been with you the whole 10 years! You know my story, but others don't so here goes:
We live on a farm east of Edmonton, Alberta. About 7(?) years ago, I found new homes for my two horses. As much as I loved them, I was happy they were going to homes where there were people who had more time to spend with them than I did (long work hours, long commute). It seriously broke my heart to come home and have them looking at me like "what, you are just going to eat supper and go to bed?". By the way, Honey is still alive and doing well! Wow, I think she is about 30 years old now.
I feel that, just like with other animals in our lives, horses have the innate ability to calm us, make us smile and bring us unconditional love. We now have our dogs and cats to help us decompress. (Sadie is still alive too! Remember when you found her puppies?)
Thank you for the 10 years of posts, for the decades of memories. Love to you and Ted.
I don't have a horse any longer, but I had one back in the day (in the 1970's), from 8th grade to senior in high school. I love following horse blogs as that is the only way I have contact with horses these days. We live in Logan, UT which is citified and very rural at the same time, and my greatest passion is to go on 'photo tours' throughout Cache Valley to get some nice horse pictures.
Thank you for blogging! I've been following you for about 5 years and love this blog.
Marci
Happy blog anniversary! I was born horse crazy but was living in the city and didn't get to be around horses much let alone own one. My favorite part of road trips was being able to see the horses out in the fields that we drove by! Every so often I was able to ride rental string horses or my cousins when we would visit them. Fast forward to adulthood and I am finally a horse owner and loving it! Had to learn a lot about horses and horse care but I now train and do hoof trimming on mine. Looking forward to spending more time in the saddle and just hanging out with my horses this year.
Oops! I forgot to say where I am. I live in the Pacific North West in Port Townsend, Washington.
Lovely pics, wish I was out there, still not feeling well. I can’t believe it’s been 10 yrs. Even though I don’t do much on my blog ( it was you that got me started) I’m going to try harder to get back into it. I will always enjoy checking yours out though....great info a few chuckles and gorgeous photography....it never gets old. I think you know what my horses mean to me, I could never express it in words.
Long time reader, first time commenting. Love your blog and have found lots of useful info. I'm from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, owner of a quarter horse gelding. I didn't start riding until my 30's. My relationships with horses have taught me more about myself and relationships than any other aspect of my life.
Congrats on your anniversary!
I really enjoy your blog! I live far away (in Luxembourg!) but I grew up around the corner from you, outside of Nelson.
Your blog is one of the things that inspired me to start riding lessons. I realized that I'm an adult! With a job! I can make spending time with horses a reality!
The last few months of learning to ride have been amazing. THanks for continuing to be an inspiration.
Thank you all for sharing your stories. Our horses mean so much to us- and once smitten, the love for them never leaves even if they are no longer a physical part of our lives.
Kim, that's pretty cool news about Honey, I really liked her.
Kerry C- I grew up just outside of Nelson and lived a lot of years there- would love to know what part of that area you are from.
Okay I am late but I loved that Beamer wrote his name in the snow!! What a horse.
I live in the boonies of Minnesota. I always wanted a horse growing up. My parents both had done field work with horses and considered them hay burners. Finally I talked them into one...,we went to the sale barn and I picked out a horse...gentle with kind eyes a gelding. My Dad decided I should have a mare an Appaloosa...what a bitch she was. She bit me every chance she could I refused to ride her or do anything with her because she was so mean I was full of bruises...she loved to nip me in the boob. I went back to riding the neighbors horses that his kids never rode so I rode every Saturday after all my chores were done...I had the best time on those horses bareback...fun. Many years later we bought an Arab mare for our daughter, she was a good horse...a little stubborn..and then we got a yearling Arab...she was a doll...and my daughter spoiled and gentled her and we rode her too. Her third year in college she sold the horses, I missed them but I had to feed and water them all week when she was in school, they needed more attention than they were getting from me.
I always figured if the time and place with a barn and pasture were right I would buy and old Morgan Gelding but that never happened.
So thats my horse story :)
Post a Comment