Yesterday, we went back to the round pen. Instead of sending her around free, I kept her in hand and asked her to move around me in a circle both ways. The basics before doing this were already in place- leading well, understanding whoa, (as you will see she needs more work on that) and the trailer loading lessons as well as all the going in and out of the barn.
I might try putting my li'l camera on a tripod for these videos, it was hard to longe her one handed! Just a word here- I don't do a lot of longeing with babies as their leg bones are still forming and a lot of circles is hard on them. So just a few minutes at a time and not every day, basically just setting up a foundation for later in the year when her training will advance; usually late fall of the yearling year I'll ask for more.
So far, so good. She does have a wee bit of attitude, but I am ok with that, it's better than being a dullard and better than being a full blown diva.
Then I moved on to the new item- sacking out with a white towel. The brightness of the towel is one part of it as well as the feeling of something new touching her and on her.
I really thought she was going to reach around and pull it off, but she didn't- good girl Mesa!
I like to start with a review and add something new each lesson. Although, I did start this one with something sorta new. Today I will find some obstacles for her- perhaps walking over a tarp. She should have no fear of tarps, she has been around them all her life but deliberately walking over one will be new to her.
She did well enough with the towel that I asked her to pack it back up the hill to the barn.
No problem!
Before I worked Mesa, I took Beamer for a ride around the pond loop.
The water has receded again, which means that the river is open and flowing, not like last year when we had all those ice jams that led to flooding.
Riding day 6
3 comments:
She did good! Wish more folks worked with young ones in hand, or even just plain ol' interacting with them. We are big believers of the value. So many just send them out to pasture until they are 2+ and then wonder why they are so reactive. The ending of the second video cracked me up!
Fun to see you work with her, the evil towel and all:)
Awesome 👏! Mesa is a smart girl. She’s really getting the hang of circling you and responding to pressure. You’re laying a solid foundation that will payoff on the trail someday. I’m impressed with how she handled the towel, too. A saddle will be no big deal!
Post a Comment