Edit: Please leave a comment on this post if you would like to come on a trail ride in the Canadian Rockies with Janice and I; we will pick the area to suit the type of riders we get. We need to know when would suit you best, and if you want to bring your own horse make sure you check with your veterinarian as to what papers are required if you are crossing the border.
Any time in July or early August would be the best time to be in the mountains.
Dogs are welcome!
December already! What a lot of change this year has brought me.... but that's a whole different post that I will save for the end of the month. I will say, however, that I am thankful to be living in this beautiful valley. I am meeting new people, and I love being this close to my family.
This is Creston, and the view from our place. Those are the Skimmerhorn Mountains, Tara at High Performance Quarter Horses could probably tell you the names of the mountains as she used to live here. If you haven't looked at her website for a while, go check out the photos she has of the gorgeous foals they have this year.
I love the mountains, as I spent my childhood about 60 miles from here on the other side of Kootenay Lake. I will say, however that the mountains in Alberta are spectacular, and I spent years living in the foothills west of Calgary, with the amazing panorama of the Rockies to gaze upon every day.
My friend Janice and I would like to know if any of you bloggers would like to get together next summer for a mountain trail-ride/camp out. There are plenty of options, including bringing your own horse or finding you a mount here. Please think about it, and either leave a comment, or email either of us if you would like to do this. It takes a lot of planning, so now is the time to start. I think it will be a lot of fun!
12 comments:
Shirley that sounds like a great idea! I haven't ridden in "the hills " for about 4 yrs. Used to do the Ram falls ,Nordegg, or Cadomin, and just loved it!I will talk to Martin, I am sure he would love to go.
Absolutely gorgeous!
cindy
Goodness, Shirley, if I could go I would have arrived before you finished writing this post:0)
Those mountains are incredibly beautiful. They invite contemplation and introspection. It's as if the entire field and mountains together became an abbey.
It is so nice to live next to mountains! It is amazing how the mountains change from different parts of the country! Just beautiful!
The hump that is just out of picture to the left on the Skimmerhorn is called Thompson Mountain or also commonly known as "The Look Out" If you and Ted have time next year wait for the snow to melt and drive up there, it is BEAUTIFUL!! I was going to point out the "X" in the Skimmahorn's for you so you would know when to plant in the spring and give you the info on it but the clouds are either masking it or there is not enough snow yet for it to stand out. If you can get a picture of it I will give you the info on it and how to know when it is safe to plant by following it! Tips on getting a picture of it.. the cut line for the power lines coming down the mountain near the border are part of the X.
The mountain looming over town which is also out of picture is called Goat Mountain it is what feeds the Goat River. "The river your dogs LOVED swimming in this summer) I used to live with that river in my back yard actually at the end of Goat River RD S.
The picture you took on Tuesday of the mountains behind you is Corn Creek.
Tara
Good possibility, can I ride on the chuck wagon, I have only been on a horse twice..:-)
Tara, thanks! I'll try for a more complete picture.
Ed, I think we can round up a team and wagon, and you sure would be welcome!
I should have added that the mountain range you took on Tuesday behind you is the Purcell Mountain Range. Beautiful riding up there.. come spring send me a note and I'll give you directions to some really nice trails up there!
Tara
Hmm Shirley I had a brain fart.. What you are calling the Skimmerhorn is the Purcell Mountain range and the range behind your house are the Selkirk's. I am sorry I accidently called them the Purcell's.
Tara
Hi Shirley, the country looks beautiful up there and would love to come ride it, always like riding in new areas!
Next time I get up to Canada I PROMISE you will be hearing from me. Wish I could bring my own horse.;)
I just showed John this post and we did a Google map and talked about taking a trip up there. I've always wanted to drive up in the NW section of our country and I've exploring Canada on my bucket list. John said, "Let's do this! We can do it as a sort of Anniversary gift to ourselves. We'll be married for 20 years come May 12."
August looks better for us, as he is just starting his 'new' job next month. Will give us time to save up our pennies and make all the logistical plans
~Lisa
Post a Comment